Happy Valentine’s Day!
Today, we’re reminded of Neil Young’s “Lotta Love” where he sings, “It’s gonna take a lotta love to change the way things are. It’s gonna take a lotta love, or we won’t get too far.” Wondering what the heck this has to do with accounting??
We believe that your future, and the future of the accounting profession, depends on your capacity to LOVE.
The world is changing, fast. Many of us are hyper-focused on being future ready – trying to keep up with change and embracing new technology. And that is critical! But let’s not forget about the other vital half of being future ready: being HUMAN ready.
Humanity is evolving at an accelerated pace. We are waking up, and we want more! We’re seeking more meaning, purpose, fulfillment and authentic connection. We want to be inspired!!
Being human ready means embracing love in leadership and putting people first.
How can you embrace love as a leader in your organization? Here are a few simple, yet powerful, ideas:
- Ask meaningful questions of the people you lead: What do you want? What matters most to you? How do you feel about this? How can I support you? Listen to understand vs. to respond.
- Express your belief in another person. What are their strengths? Who do you see them becoming?
- Invest in another person by sharing real feedback that will help them grow.
- Give those you lead room to make mistakes and learn from them, instead of critiquing or judging them. (We know there’s a lot of perfectionism in accounting, but hey, no one is perfect!!)
- Encourage and support the people you lead, and express genuine appreciation for their contributions.
We challenge you to try one new action today to embody love in leadership…and notice what happens!
See you in the DoP,